Sunday, January 23, 2011

Vacation II Morning



The morning of day 2 found me awake at 8.30 am and like anticipated the night before I peeped behind the curtains and saw the sun shinning and the blue horizon. I sprang out of bed, got dressed in silent not to awake the mob, and headed downstairs for a brisk walk along the beach. My legs ached a bit, particularly my hip area and heels, but I remembered promising my physio I would walk, so I did and happy to be able to do so. My mind was just a step ahead of my feet, I wanted to reach the Ereskine River before turning back.

La manana del segundo dia me encontro despierta a las 8.30 y como habia anticipado la noche anterior, espie detras de las cortinas y vi el sol brillando y el horizonte azul. Salte de la cama, me vesti en silencio, para no despertar a la mafia y baje para hacer una caminata por la playa. Mis piernas estaban un poco doloridas, particularmente el area de mi cadera y los pies, pero recorde que le prometi a mi fisio que iba a caminar, asique lo hice y contenta de poder hacerlo. Mi mente caminaba unos pasos mas rapido que mis pies, queria llegar al rio Ereskine antes de pegar la vuelta.

I never saw the Ereskine River reach the ocean in such a strong stream. It even looked deep and since I was dressed in 3/4 pants I decided not to attempt to cross. The morning was beautiful, the shore was being eroded by early joggers, walkers and birds.
I thought about the patterns left behind on the sand the day before, who made them, what do they mean? Those that are still visible in the morning before the tide sweeps them away forever and swallows them in swirls of sand and salt...are they destined to survive? Is the ocean selective of what it takes?

Nunca vi el rio Ereskine llegar al oceano con tan fuerte correntada. Hasta parecia profundo y como yo estaba vestida en pantalones 3/4 decidi no intentar cruzarlo. La manana estaba hermosa, la costa esta siendo erodada por madrugadores corriendo y caminando y por pajaros.
Pense en los dibujos que quedan en la arena de la noche anterior, quien los hizo, que significan? Aquellos que quedan visibles antes de que la marea los barra y se los lleve para siempre tragandolos en remolinos de arena y sal...estan destinados a sobrevivir? El oceano es selectivo de lo que se lleva?

No comments: