Sunday, December 19, 2010

Back at home in time for Xmas

Finally back at home just in time for Christmas! I am very happy to be here, it's true there is no place like home.
My time in hospital was difficult. I don't wish it on anybody. It is a very scary thing to do, to give yourself up for others to mend you. I was very strong going in, trying to be especially strong for my family. My son had gone to an interview to Monash University that morning and I wanted him to be 100% confident, so I didn't show any fear, but inside I was terrified. I also wanted to be strong for my husband because I know how much these things scare him.

Finalmente estoy de vuelta en casa, justo a tiempo para Navidad. estoy muy muy feliz de estar aca, es verded que no hay nada como el hogar.
Mi tiempo en el hospital fue dificil. No se lo deseo a nadie. Es muy dificil entregarse por completo a otros para que te arreglen. Trate de ser fuerte antes de ir, especialmente por mi hijo que tenia una entrevista en la universidad esa manana y queria que tuviera 100% de confianza, asique no mostre nada de miedo, pero por dentro estaba aterrorizada. Tambien queria ser fuerte para mi marido porque yo se cuanto lo asustan estas cosas.

I held it together until the nurse came and said: "it's time to hug and kiss" and I saw in my husband's eyes a mirror of my fear. I tried not to show it but couldn't hold it as the bed was wheeled away from him.

Aguante fuerte hasta que la enfermera vino y dijo:"es hora de abrazarse y besarse" y yo vi en los ojos de mi marido un espejo de mi miedo. Trate de no mostrarlo pero no puede aguantarme mientras la camilla se alejaba de el.

The anaesthetist was very kind and explained step by step what he was doing. They gave me a spinal injection and slowly but steady I lost feeling from my waist down and my legs felt so heavy I couldn't move them. They also gave some other drugs and I must have gone to a happy place.

El anestesista era muy bueno y me explicaba paso a paso lo que estaba haciendo. Me dieron una inyeccion raquidea que despacio pero firmemente me hizo perder la sensasion de la cintura para abajo. Mis piernas parecian tan pesadas que no podia moverlas. Tambien me dieron otras drogas que me habran llevado a un lugar feliz. Cuando desperte, sin embargo la historia era otra.

When I woke up though the story was different. The anaesthetist was talking to me with some urgency and I was feeling pain, I said "It hurts" and he explained the operation took 2 hours longer than expected and I lost a lot of blood so I had to have a transfusion. I kept saying: "It hurts" and he said "the anaesthetic run out".

El anestesista mi hablaba con cierta urgencia mientras you sentia un fuerte ardor y dolor en mi pierna yo le decia "me duele" y el me explicaba que la operacion duro 2 horas mas que lo deberia haber durado y que perdi mucha sangre y necesite una transfusion. Yo seguia diciendo: "me duele". Y el me dijo: "La anestecia se acabo".

Very quickly I was taken to the recovery room and I remember feeling pain but it was hard to make sense of what was going on. All I know is that the anaesthetist kept saying: she needs morphine now!. After that I remember being taken to the ward where I spent the next 6 days. The first two days were very painful days. Too awful to try to remember them. The nurses were very kind and hard working and they did their best to make me feel well. When I saw the surgeon the next day he explained that I had a very small cavity to where the prosthesis needed to go, so it took them longer. So now I have a brand new hip and lots of exercises to do to nurse my muscles back to normal. I still have pain, but everyday I feel heaps better.

Rapidamente fui llevada a la sala de recuperacion y me acuerdo sentir dolor pero era muy dificil tratar de que las cosas tuvieran sentido. Lo unico que se es que el anestesista queria que urgentemente me conectaran con la morfina. Despues de eso recuerdo que me llevaron a la sala donde pase los proximos 6 dias. Los dos primeros fueron dias muy dolorosos. Muy feos para recordar. Las enfermeras eran muy buenas y trabajaban fuerte para hacerme sentir bien. Cuando vi al cirujano me explico que tengo una cavidad muy pequena donde tenian que insertar la protesis y que por eso les llevo mas tiempo. Asique ahora tengo una cadera nueva y muchos ejercicios para hacer para nutrir mis musculos a un estado saludable y normal. Todavia tengo dolor pero mejoro dia a dia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ale te mandamos un beso enorme, we will follow your recovery thru your blog..Merry Xmas JO JO JO!!!
MyH

Anonymous said...

Alejandra I am so glad that the hip operation was a great success! It was great seeing you today! I am so proud of you! LR xoxoxo