Saturday, February 27, 2010

Yerba Mate at last

Casa Iberica, located in Johnston Street in Fitzroy is the best place to have a big pig out latin american style. It's like a milkbar but its shelves are full of stuff from places all over South America, Spain and Portugal. When you walk in the aromas of chorizos and spices fill your nostrils and I am immediately sent back to "el almacen" where I grew up. There is a little bit of everything for all tastes. The hams and dried and raw chorizos are to die for. When I buy a red chorizo and bring it home I don't eat it straight away I just smell it for a while with my eyes closed. It is just amazing how the sense of smell takes you back to memories that have been dormant. There is also a great variety of sweets that are really delicious, such as 'alfajores' (a yo-yo style biscuit with caramel in the centre), dulce de leche (toffee-caramel spread) and membrillo (quince jam). This is also where I buy my Argentinian tea "mate". I have been very scarce of mate lately so today I bought 1 1/2 kilos. Mate is a really interesting concept that I will explain some other time....now to enjoy the sweets.

Casa Iberica en la calle Johnston en Fitzroy es el mejor lugar para cerdear al mejor estilo latinoamericano. Es como un almacen pero lleno de mercaderia de sud-america y Espana y Portugal. Cuando entras los aromas a chorizos y especias te llenan la nariz e inmediatamente siento que estoy de vuelta en el almacen de Antonio donde me crie. Cuando compro un chorizo colorado y lo traigo a casa no lo como inmediatamente. Es toda una ceremonia, abro el papel y lo huelo, con mis ojos cerrados por un buen tiempo hasta que despierta muchos recuerdos que han estado dormidos. Tambien venden cosas dulces riquisimas como alfajores, dulce de leche (esperando por la serenisima pero nunca viene) y membrillo. Aca tambien compro yerba, ultimamente estaba escaceando en casa asique compre 3 paquetes para que me duren un tiempo, asique ahora me voy a disfrutar lo que compre.

3 comments:

Ezequiel Garate said...

Que risa ese lugar, es re loco. Yo me acuerdo de ea calle..es donde fuimos a tomar algo con Lucke no? jaja

Alejandra Zalewski said...

Si te acordas? Tenemos fotos sentadas en unos asientos coloridos ahi...que memoria!

Unknown said...

Hello Alejandra! I am hungry!