Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Una charla con mi abuelo. A talk with Grandad.



Today the weather in Melbourne was just perfect. After a few days of intolerable heat we were blessed with a 24 degrees day and sea breezes. I had a very productive and special holiday day.
In the morning I had a chat with my recently turned 90 years old grandfather using Skype. I was so happy! It has been years since I can talk to him because he has lost most of his hearing and our phone communication has obviously been hindered by this. I used to call and scream to the top of my lungs, so much so that my son would wake up scared not knowing why I was screaming so much! I have given up for years and had to be content with my mum mediating my hellos and happy birthdays. Today she was there to mediate too, but after the initial shock I think he finally understood or at least accepted that I was not really a photo on the screen or an old video. I was actually talking to him "live". He still couldn't hear me very well, but my mum translated and he could answer my questions. He really came alive when he started telling me again about his ox steering job after he came back from the army to Spain. He must have told me that story about 100 times, but I listen to it with joy knowing that it must mean something very important to him. I love my grandad. He looked older and not all there, but he is 90 years old and he was still snacking on Spanish chorizo. Thank you mum for helping me make this possible and thank you technology for letting me talk to him today after such a long time.

Hoy el tiempo en Melbourne fue simplemente perfecto. Despues de unos dias de calor intolerable fuimos bendecidos con 24 grados y brisas del mar. Tuve un dia muy productivo y especial.
Por la manana tuve una charla con mi abuelo, quien recientemente cumplio 90 anos a traves de Skype. Me puso tan contenta! Hace anos que no puedo hablar con el porque ha perdido la mayoria de su audicion y nuestra comunicacion ha sido obviamente afectada for esto. Yo solia llamar y gritar a todo lo que da, tanto que mi hijo se despertaba aterrorizado no sabiendo porque yo gritaba tanto. Hasta que me di por vencida y por anos mi mama fue la mediadora de saludos y feliz cumpleanos. Hoy mi mama estaba ahi para mediar tambien pero despues del shock inicial creo que mi abuelo se dio cuenta o al menos acepto que yo no era una foto en la pantalla o una pelicula vieja, sino que estaba ahi hablando con el en vivo. Igual no me escuchaba bien, pero mi mama le traducia y el pudo contestarme algunas preguntas o comentarios. El realmente se entusiasmo cuanto me empezo a contar otra vez sobre su trabajo llevando la junta de bueyes cargada al mango con madera al mercado cuando volvio a Espana despues de la conscripcion en Africa. Me habra contando esa histora como 100 veces, pero yo igual la escucho con alegria sabiendo que debe significar algo importante para el. Amo a mi abuelo. Lo vi mas viejito y no del todo ahi, pero tiene 90 anos y estaba merendando rodajas de chorizo espanol. Gracias ma, por haber hecho esto posible y gracias technologia por dejarme hablar con el hoy otra vez, despues de tanto tiempo.

After this beautiful morning I was happy all day, and I did some work and later I went with my family for a nice coffee to Camberwell and from there I walked to the city with Ric for the first time in 2012. It was such a great day for it. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Despues de esta manana hermosa quede feliz para todo el dia, despues trabaje un rato y a la tarde nos fuimos a tomar un cafe a Camberwell y de ahi Ricky y yo nos fuimos caminando a la city por primera vez en el 2012. Fue un dia perfecto para hacerlo y lo disfrute mucho.

No comments: