Friday, January 6, 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Last night we went to the Palace Cinemas in Balwyn to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I don't fancy myself as a very insightful movie critic. I know that I like movies or dislike them for reasons that make sense to me. Sometimes though it is nice to know what somebody else thinks of a movie before paying the ridiculous expensive movie ticket price to go and see something worth the bucks.
The new Sherlock Holmes movie it's not very different from its predecessor, it is perhaps a little more incongruous with what one would expect, particularly about things that are done over the top and only serve to remind us that we are watching a Hollywood movie.
Robert Downy Jr. has really made this character his own and I have to admit that he does it well, even though it is hard to relate it to the original Arthur Conan Doyle's character.
The absence of a good female character is clearly noted as it is the overuse of the "how Sherlock can predict what will happen based on his calculations" effect.
I enjoyed the movie because it is fun, fast paced and entertaining. If you see it don't expect an improvement from the previous one or even a more cerebral script.
I do love the Palace Cinemas though. Old fashion, kind of quiet and close to home.

No comments: