Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last Day of 2013

As the end of the year approaches I stop and think about everything that was. 2013 was a full year, tucked with events that stacked themselves in a small compartment of my brain. Neatly folded, almost glued to one another; like a pile of clean and ironed linen begging not to be disturbed. Every memory stacked in the cupboard like a sheet expecting to be taken out but perfectly aware that at the moment of the pull, the rest of the pile will tumble down, unfold and wrinkle. Some memories I want to keep intact, I don't want them messed up or altered. I want them forever to feel like they do now, warm, alive and fresh as it they just happened: My time spent with my family overseas, hugging my frail grandfather, holidaying in Tathra, seeing my son graduating, eating chips at Grill'd on Saturday afternoons with Ric and Anton and walking into my classroom on my birthday and seeing the whiteboard filled with a massive drawing of a cake and a caricature version of me devouring it, all around it messages from my students. Those are the moments that I treasure this year, the ones that I tuck into the compartment in my mind and keep for when I am old and senile and decide to take them all out and spread them in the sun to relive again.

El fin de ano se acerca y paro a pensar en todo lo que fue. 2013 fue un ano lleno, plegado de eventos que se apilaron juntitos en un pequeno compartimiento de mi cerebro. Prolijamente doblados, casi pegados unos a otros, como una pila de sabanas limpias y planchadas en el placard pidiendo que no se las disturbe. Cada momento apilado en el placard como una sabana que espera se la saque pero que sabe perfectamente que en el momento de ser retirada, el resto se caera, desdoblara y se arrugara. Algunos momentos quiero mantener intactos. No quiero que se manoseen o se alteren. Los quiero asi para siempre, quiero sentirlos como los siento hoy, calidos, vivos y frescos como se recien ocurrieran: Mi tiempo en Argentina con mi familia, abrazando a mi abuelito fragil, vacacionando en Tathra, ver graduarse a mi hijo, comiendo papas fritas en Grill'd los sabados a la tarde con Ric y Anton y entrando a mi clase el dia de mi cumpleanos y ver el pizarron cubierto con un dibujo enorme de una torta y una version mia caricaturizada devorando la torta, todo alrededor mensajes de felicidades de mis alumnos. Esos son los momentos que valoro como un tesoro de este ano, los que pliego en el compartimiento de mi mente y mantengo para siempre para cuando sea viejita y senil y decida sacar a ventilarlos y desparramarlos en el sol para revivirlos otra vez.

No comments: