Friday, March 4, 2011

Reflecting

Today I finished my first block of teaching rounds. I can't believe how quickly these 4 weeks went. I remember when I started it seemed to be going in slow motion, but soon enough the pace picked up and it felt like a race all the way to the end.

Hoy termine mi primer block de practicas docentes. No puedo creer que rapido se pasaron estas 4 semanas. Me acuerdo cuando empece que parecia ir en camara lenta, pero enseguida el ritmo se acelero hasta parecer una carrera hasta la meta final.

I left with a bit of sadness today as I have met a really nice group of people and children. Everyone was so welcoming and I truly felt appreciated.

Me fui un poquito triste hoy porque conoci un grupo de gente y de chicos muy lindos. Todos me hicieron sentir tan bienvenida y verdaderamente apreciada.

I enjoyed working with Grade 2 children again. It was difficult to get used to because I have been in Grade 6 for the last 5 years, but it all quickly came back to me. I loved getting to know the kids' little personalities and helping them learn. I think I am going to love my profession.

Disfrute trabajar con chicos de 2do Grado otra vez. Fue dificil acostumbrarme al principio porque hace 5 anos que trabajo con 6to Grado, pero en seguida me acorde de como son a esa edad y de cuales son sus capacidades. Me encanto ir conociendo sus pequenas personalidades y ayudarlos a aprender. Me parece que me va a encantar mi profesion!

I was very impressed at the low levels of stress that I perceived from the staff and at how problems seem to find solutions quickly. I felt that the staff worked as a big team and even though I don't know all the ins and outs I think that it is not too hard to perceive tension or bad vibes between people. I didn't.

Me impresiono mucho los bajos niveles de estress que percibi del staff y de como los problemas parecen encontrar soluciones rapidamente. Senti que el staff trabaja verdaderamente en grupo y aunque ya se que no conozco todas las idas y venidas pienso que no es muy dificil percibir mala onda. No la percibi para nada.

My two colleague teachers were amazing and I learnt so much from them both. I am excited at the prospect of my next round in May, it will be great to see where the kids are at. The only drawback will be leaving behind the Grade 6s at my current work and my wonderful friends there...but it is only for 5 weeks.

Mis dos maestros colegas son fantasticos y aprendi tanto de ellos. Estoy contenta al prospecto de mis proximas practicas en Mayo. Va a ser re lindo volver y ver en donde estan los chicos intelectualmente. Lo unico malo sera dejar a los de 6to en mi trabajo actual al que vuelvo el Martes y dejar a mis amigos tambien...pero es solo por 5 semanas.

Before the bell rang, the teacher asked them if they wanted to say something to Mrs. Z (me) and about 10 little hands shot into the air. Those little voices said things like: "Thank you Mrs Z for teaching us writing, reading and maths and for being so nice" or "thank you for helping 2 R and 2 C with our work". I was getting a bit emotional and was trying to smile and go on, but a little boy notice my watery eyes and handed me the box of tissues. We all laugh loudly and I was thankful at that. Thanks St. Bedes! You are a beautiful school.

Antes de que suene la campana la maestra le pregunto a los chicos si tenian algo para decirle a la Senora Zeta (asi me llamaban) y diez pequenas manitos despegaron en el aire. Con esas vocecitas pequenas me decian cosas como: Senora Z la vamos a extanar, Gracias por ensenarnos a leer y a escribir, por ensenarnos Matematica y por ser tan buena...Me puso un poquito melancolica pero trataba de mantener la sonrisa. Un nenito se dio cuenta de mis ojos lagrimosos y me trajo la caja de tissues. Todos nos reimos fuerte y yo le di la bienvenida a la risa. Gracias St. Bedes, sos una escuela hermosa.

I have also learnt quite a bit about myself, about what I need to work on, about what I am good at and about how hard it is to be absolutely responsible of what happens inside the classroom once the bell goes and the doors close. The challenge is to to stay fresh, not to go stale and to enjoy it, because the demands are quite high and so are the stakes.

Tambien aprendi bastante sobre mi misma, sobre lo que necesito mejorar, sobre lo que hago bien y sobre lo dificil que es ser absolutamente responsable de todo lo que pasa dentro del aula una vez que suena la campana y las puertas se cierran dejandote sola con 23 chicos. El desafio es mantenerse fresco, no ponerse rancio y disfrutarlo, porque las demandas son muchas y lo que esta en juego tambien.

No comments: