Thursday, January 1, 2015

Welcome 2015- Demystifying New Year Resolutions

As a new year starts I found myself thinking about the goals I should set for myself. I thought about it last night as I watched the fireworks from Studley Road Boathouse. I thought about it before the new year arrived during the inevitable summing up before the end of every year, and I came to the conclusion that I will not set another weight loss goal, I will not set another "be healthy" goal, because I haven't still reached the previous ones and if I did set these as new year's resolutions (NYR) I would clearly be setting myself up to fail. Let's be clear here. I do want to reach this goal, I do want to be healthy, I do want to be skinny, but I do not seem to stick to my new year's resolutions. So if I do go down the path of a healthy self I will do it out of a strength that I may find along the way during this year or whenever that will power will find me.
One thing I do want to state is this: I will give up having a diary that I cannot maintain. Year after year I have bought myself a fancy looking diary with the intention of becoming more organised. Another NYR that I fail year after year. I start off well, write all my family and friend's birthdays, write a few things I already know will happen and then I force myself to fill it up for about the first two months. After that the entries start to lessen until the diary doesn't even come out of the bag. Every year I spend money buying one that I think will entice me to use it, but to no avail. So this year I declare it a diary free year. Only electronic reminders will be allowed. There.
I worried for a while there about not having NYR this year, but I shouldn't really worry about something that ends up weighing me down. Instead I think I will look at 2014 and the paths I walked, the lessons I learnt and try to improve upon them. I will try to be strong, to work hard doing what I like, I will enjoy my family more, and above all be true to myself, allow myself to be who I am ALL OF THE TIME. I wish you the same, a happy 2015!















No comments: