Sunday, February 13, 2011

One down three to go

After a week of experiencing a new and different working environment I found myself reflecting about the challenges facing my new profession (once I enter it).
How funny it is that it is not the knowledge, the preparation or the intellectual difficulties that I fear, but the minutia of the social structures and personality hierarchy. I have experienced stress like I haven't in years. Things like learning the whereabouts of the most insignificant thing, learning new names, scanning for vibes, having to ask the most elemental questions, finding the rooms, books, staples, paper, tubs, switches, scissors, glue, pens, people, hats and doing it all with a smile has literally worn me out.
This experience has also made me evaluate my own position of comfort at my current workplace and how I may not have been aware of others facing this difficulty. We become so complacent about everything we do, we forget that we can be making someone else's life uncomfortable.

No comments: